Well, this was something I did not expect. One of my fellow bloggers felt led to nominate me for a Liebster award. Thank you Michelle! May you find many candy canes in your future!
If you are asking, “what does that even mean?” you are in good company! After I performed my due diligence (i.e., I googled it), I found that it is a way the blogging community encourages new bloggers (who doesn’t like getting an award?), helps to get the word out about them by encouraging their readers to check them out, and gives opportunity for the community to learn more about you.
This is done by doing the following:
- Posting the award on your blog.
- Answering the 11 questions asked by the nominator.
- Offering 11 additional facts about yourself.
- Paying it forward by nominating some of your favorite blogs.
- Giving your nominees 11 questions of your own to answer.
OK. Here we go….on to Michelle’s questions.
1. If money was no object where would you retire and why? I would have to say central Florida, somewhere around Orlando. I crave warmth.
2. Jam or Jelly and why? Jam. It’s easier to spread.
3. If you could give one moral advice to the kids today what would it be? Just one thing? You will be the same person you are today, five years from now except for two things: the people you meet, and the books you read.
4. If you could be any inanimate object what would it be and why? A candle so I could be used to provide light to people.
5. What is the most bizarre food you ever sampled? Rattlesnake.
6. The most beautiful feature on your mate or your current mate and why? Her eyes… those exotic misty blue eyes!
7. Favorite pie? French silk chocolate.
8. Biggest regret in life? I really wish I had taken the time to be financially literate when I was in college.
9. One thing you always wanted to say to someone who has passed away but never got the chance to tell them? I would like to have told Charlie “Tremendous” Jones that he was a spiritual father to me. He knew he was a mentor, but I did not have the thought of spiritual father in words at the time.
10. Favorite car/truck model and why? Hmmm. That’s a tough one. I’m not really into cars or trucks. That said, if I could own any car right now it would probably be a Jaguar F-Type. Convertible. Comfortable. Powerful. 2 seats… just for me and my wife!
11. Your most sincere wish for your future? That I would be known as someone who was full of grace and truth.
Ok. Now, eleven things about me…
- I have been married to my wife Mandi for 22 years.
- We have moved 13 times in our 22 years of marriage.
- We purposely waited to have kids for 10 years so that we could enjoy each other while we were young, looked good and could get around.
- My favorite color is silver.
- I am pursuing a PhD in historical theology. The focus of my thesis is Jonathan Edwards’ definition of theology: the doctrine of living to God by Christ.
- Jonathan Edwards, Francis Fénelon, Charles Spurgeon, John Piper, and Timothy Keller are among my favorite authors.
- The senior pastor I work with at my church is the same pastor who officiated our marriage 22 years ago.
- I am an artist.
- I enjoy a fine cigar. My favorite brand is Padrón.
- I am bummed that I did not get to see Catching Fire on opening day.
- My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving.
Whew…now on to my own nominees…. Each of these are well worth your time.
Life Reference. Extremely well written and thought provoking.
The Old Guys. Quotes from… well… old dead guys like Jonathan Edwards, Charles Spurgeon, Martin Luther… what’s not to like?
Burnham Road. Great posts on what it means to follow Jesus. Like me, he is also an author and father of three kids.
Daily Manna with Your Mug. Good short devotional thoughts that go well with a mug of your favorite Joe.
The GREENhouse. I always enjoy reading her posts. Great insights into life and parenthood.
And, should you chose to follow tradition… here are my questions for you:
- What is your favorite place?
- What are the 5 most influential books you have read?
- Favorite TV show?
- If you could have an evening with anyone, living or dead, who would it be, and why?
- Do you prefer dogs or cats?
- Jam or jelly?
- Would you say you are more outgoing and fast paced or reserved and slower paced?
- Are you more of a task person or a people person?
- Favorite quote?
- Favorite food?
- What is one of the most important things you have been learning?